Monday, July 5, 2010

This is home now..

The beautiful house we are staying in



By Night

Inside


Front Garden



Dawn view


On Sunday, at the nearby Inkwenkwezi Game Reserve, the annual Jikeleza festival was held, and our local Glen Eden Church held the Sunday service as part of the festival, in a beautiful outdoor setup.

Driving into town is a rural experience,

and with our close proximity to the beach, it feels like we are on holiday, waking up each day ‘in paradise’. So far, the weather has been great, Saturday was 30degrees with a light berg wind, today was calm and T-shirt weather.

I’m overwhelmed at the friendliness and openness of the people here. I met Nick Pike, the local fishing and surf reporter in the nearby Spar while I was shopping for a shad spoon, and that was when we went surfing together. So, I have survived my first Queensberry Bay point surf yesterday evening, with Nick & 2 other local guys, with shad jumping, dolphins chasing them, fishermen on the rocks nearby. The ocean is so alive, and I’m also glad to be..

Went fishing twice today, learning to tie knots, cast, and ‘do the knitting’, sorting out tangled line. I smell of pilchards, and although tomorrow will probably yield my first shad, I had plenty of bites, the sardines stripped off my hook. I’ve had good fishing mentors - Steve Moss, and fished with (our pastor) Graham Gernetsky this evening, who showed me how to secure a tasty pilchard onto a fat hook. One guy next to us pulled out about 5 shad in about 5 minutes, and another guy came walking down the rocks with a healthy +/- 60cm silver steenbras, I think it was. Beats the Tableview ‘fishing’ where I’ve never seen a fish pulled out in 20 years or so.

Also did some sorting out of our storage boxes in the garage, so now we can access those we may need, as well as being able to fit the surfboards, fishing rods etc into the garage. This evening, after the walking, fishing, yesterday’s surf and moving about 30 boxes around, my back is tired (tho not sore) and I’m as happy as a piggin. (a pig in mud)

Hope my next post is of a fat fish hanging out of a pan..

PS: Our cellular internet is dreadfully slow here, no 3G, just Edge, and even that is painful. I have applied for a landline & ADSL, but that may take a month or more. ( so please, no large attachments or junk emails.)







5 comments:

  1. I Love your blog. Thanks for the update. It really does look wonderful in Glen Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its gorgeous!! We can see why its called Little Eden, Paradise found!!!

    love
    chirani

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys sounds way too content! ;)
    Glad the move all went well.
    What a lifestyle!
    What are we doing in London?

    Would like to see more of the house, couldn't tell from that dark photie and the inside shot didn't come up.

    Roy's envious of the fishing!

    Lot's of love & hugs to you both,
    from us both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, When we visit fish will be on the menu, look forward to it.

    God is Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Pike the fishing reporter? classic!

    ReplyDelete